Tuesday, October 14, 2008

McKade Benjamin Cobb


Shani had been having contractions since about 10pm last night but was kind enough to not wake me till 4:30 am this morning. Noticing she was in pain and being the smart guy I am, I figured she was having some serious contractions. If you know Shani, things aren’t serious till she is puking her guts out. After the first round of pukes she decided it was time to go. We go the kids ready and off we went. Dropped the kids off at Brie’s house (thanks Brie) and headed to the hospital but not before another puking rally by Shani along the way in a near by school parking lot. Then while driving she had another round, and when we arrived at the hospital she let it go one more time. I am going to get killed for this when she sees it.

We get into a room and she was already dilated to a 6 and at 80%.. For some reason we kept getting more and more nurses and doctors in the room. Come to find out the baby’s heart rate would drop really low every time she had a contraction. They kept checking her to see if she would dilate but only a little at a time. Finally the doctor said if the baby’s heart rate drops low again we are going to have to take it C-section and my heart dropped. Now, I might not be the brightest color in the crayon box but, approximately 8 - 10 docs and nurses in the room, all have game faces on, baby’s heart beat low, and the mentioning of c-section got me putting two and two together and I knew something was wrong so I started to freak out tearing up and getting very angry (you won’t like me when I’m angry). They kept talking their jargon, again me putting two and two together, I blurt our (not knowing if I yelled it or not) “Isn’t there something you can do”. Ya, I was really helpful!! The doc checked Shani again and she was at nine so she decided Shani could try and push. Baby’s head comes out and I hear doc say, “that’s what I thought was wrong”. I look down and the umbilical cord was wrapped around McKade’s neck which was giving us the problem, guess I shouldn’t have given him a middle name of Benjamin and things probably would not have been so complicated. Approximately 5 pushes and baby was out.

I am glad to say both mom and baby are doing great. Thanks to all who could make it out and see us.

2 comments:

Donna said...

Aloha...little McCade Benjamin!
What a beautiful, perfect baby you are! Congrats, Ben and Shani you did a great job!
Love to your whole family!
Come by and show him off to us!
Love,
Mom Schaub

Widdison Warbler said...

Brightest color in the CRAYON box, not CROWN box! ha ha Love ya Ben, so glad everyone is doing well. Good to see you and Shani adding to the gene pool. Love seeing little "Ben's" running around! Love you too Shani!