Thursday, October 23, 2008

I LOVE U GRANDMA!




I’ve wanted to take the kids to see their great grandma for a while so Wednesday after McKinna got out of school we drove to the other side of Phoenix. It was a really fun trip talking with Grandma, Aunt Michelle, and Scott. I learned more about my mom’s side of the family that day than my mom has ever told me. We are very interesting!! My Grandma has these old slide show pictures that you load into a binocular looking thing which lights up the slide. The cool thing is the slide has two of the exact same pictures in it, one for each eye, so when you look through it the picture takes on this 3D image, it is really awesome.

I was fixing a plastic sand box for my Grandma and Bodin looks at me and say’s “What is that big bug on you dad” pointing at my shirt. I look down just in time to see a scorpion (good size one) climbing from my left peck to the top of my shoulder. Scott was standing next to me and I don’t think I have seen anyone move so fast in my life. Why he moved so fast I don’t know, I was the one with a scorpion climbing up towards my neck thinking “Great, I am going to get hit in the jugular.” After contemplating whether or not to flick it off or shake it off I finally grabbed my shirt and gave it a quick tug and it fell off. The whole time I was contemplating, it seemed like the whole world went into slow mode (kind of like the first Spiderman movie when he gets his powers and the bully at the school tries to beat him up). After shaking the scorpion off my shoulder a white ninja appeared out of nowhere and took out the scorpion with one foul swoop, it was actually Scott with a shoe, then he disappeared into the house and did not come back out side!

Time with Grandma was fun but sad as she is getting really old and has a hard time getting around and trying to say what she wants to say. I could always tell when I talked to her on the phone but it really hit me when she answered the door with a walker. She is really important to me and I lover her a lot! I walked around the property with Bodin and could see me with my cousin Danny when we were really young playing, catching lizards, and exploring. I told Bodin some of my stories and how we use to crawl through the drain pipe at the front of the property. I showed Bodin the drain pipe and to my surprise he asked if he could crawl through it but after the scorpion incident I wasn’t sure it was a good idea. I miss the days where I had noting to worry about except how to get the snake or lizard out of the brush. I always loved going to grandma’s house! The kids loved her house and property as well and begged to come back again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww...what a cute picture. Poor grandma..she sure is showing her age..very sad. Did you see the slide of your mom...it looks exactly like you, but in a dress...lol. I want to OWN that slide!

Ben and Shani said...

I don't know what you are talking about, no such thing exists!

Widdison Warbler said...

Please change your font...it's too hard to read. Yes, I have many good memories of that place too, it's so sad to see how time has marched on and left it's mark. I'm glad you went out there to see her, I'm sure she loved it!
Love ou guys!

Hannah M said...

Hey Cuz!

I'm glad I can spy on you now that I've been invited as a viewer. Hee, hee. First of all, congratulations on the newest addition to your family. Secondly, I can totally relate to your feelings when you visited your grandma. I remember feeling the same way when seeing Grandpa as he reached 80. He totally slowed down and couldn't go on walks like the old days. I love retracing my childhood steps through their backyard where I spent countless hours playing. I, too, miss the simplicity of being a child. Hope to see you soon! I'm trying to convince Andrew to drive out to AZ for Thanksgiving. Love ya!
Hannah Banana

Monya said...

Great story. I am sure your Grandma loved you coming to visit. Thanks for the invite to the blog!