Thursday, November 25, 2010

The Door

I must say one thing I secretely enjoy is coming up with the punishment that fits the crime. I get a feeling of satisfaction when I can. With that said....

I hear the bus coming and McKade, Journey and I book it outside to welcome the kids home. Bodin comes running up hugging us and telling us all about his day. Then here comes moody McKinna. She is instantly laying into me. Mom, you did not do this and that. Okay, McKinna sorry, but seriously we just came to welcome you home. She settles down and we walk inside. She starts up again. Mom, blah blah blah. (She is just looking for reasons to yell at me.) McKinna you better stop! Continues. Get to your room!

She goes off but the complaining continues. She is kicking her door now yelling in this super whiny voice. "I do not care about this door, I do not care about anything in this house. The only thing I care about is me. I do not need this door." On and on this goes so I calmly open the door and say, "You do not care about this door?"
"Yes I do"
"Really, because I heard you say you don't."
"No, I don't"
"And you don't care about anyone in this family?"
She smugly looks at me like she has succeeded in hurting my feelings.
I do not say anything, but just leave. I come back with my handy dandy screwdriver and start unscrewing from the hinges.
McKinna frantically, "Mom, what are you doing?"
"Well, you do not care about this door so I just thought that I would take it off."
Oh the begging and pleading begins and I must admit it felt great to calmly remove srew by screw and relocate that door to the hallway where it is a constant reminder of one thing that can happen to you in this house if you make bad choices.

3 comments:

Widdison Warbler said...

Good for you! We did that to the girls a few years ago. The kept fighting and slamming doors, so Tony went up and took the doors off. They didn't get them back for about a month. haha

Anonymous said...

LOL...welcome to GIRLS...AHHHHH! I get this almost daily from Ashton...mood swings! I have threatened to take Ashton's doors off DOZENS of times, but never actually tried to do it..lol. Go Shani ;) I keep telling myself that this is a phase and will end...one day...probably when she gets married ;)

Powells said...

Awesome, wish I had you around to help me think of stuff like that for Colton. For some reason he is like that too. He gets in these moods where everything he says is trying to argue with him! And now that he's eight, all of the sudden I don't know anything. I am going crazy!